I was in a serious need of lightening my hair, I usually have a blonde balayage and a trim once a year. It’s been about a year and a half, I just got back from Barcelona with a golden tan, there was a wedding approaching so I thought it’s about time.
I’ve spent 6 years taking care of my hair after dying is numerous colours, bleaching it several times and straightening it. So I haven’t applied any heat to my hair with just touches of blonde highlights yearly and let my natural hair do its thing. For around 3 years I’ve invested in safer products for my hair. My shampoo and conditioner is free from:
- Mineral oils
- Artificial colours
Since this transition my hair is so much healthier, softer, stronger and of course curlier. These above ingredients strip the natural oils from your hair, cause buildup, frizz and damage, making it limp, lifeless and dry.
Colour treated after care
Dying and bleaching your hair causes your hair to feel dry and stringy like which can cause a lot of breakage.
- Be sure to use a hair mask weekly, fortnightly or even monthly (depending on how much moisture your hair can take) but don’t worry if you’re a curly girl and over moisturise you just need to include protein into your wash day, you can use protein masks or keep an eye out for products containing protein.
- To refresh my hair I use a leave in conditioner and a little gel to hold my curls. Make your own leave in and use small amount of your favourite hair mask or conditioner in a spray bottle with water. Spritz over hair every day to refresh your hair and to add extra moisture.
- Shampoo roots only in warm water not hot! To stop the length of your hair drying out.
- Once conditioned and combed rinse with cold water this closes your hair follicles retaining all of the moisture.
- Apply your favourite safe product and voilà.
- Top tip #1 – Decrease the amount you wash your hair. Twice a week is ok, we want to retain as much moisture and as much of our natural oils as possible.
- Top tip #2 – If you live in a warm country or due to go on holiday not only do we need to protect our skin from the sun but our hair too! Use a simple messy bun or hair wraps and bandanas.
Feel free to comment/ask questions
Love always x