I planted a lemon seed around month ago and finally it’s sprouted! Read below for instructions.
- Gather your lemon seeds from an organic lemon, as standard lemon seeds can be duds.
- Suck on the seed to remove of the pulp and to moisten the seed as it won’t germinate if it’s dry.
- Fill a small pot (with drainage holes) with multi purpose compost and press your seed into the compost about 3cm deep.
- Water and keep moist.
- Cover the pot with cling film and pierce tiny holes.
- Place in a sunny window.
- If condensation appears on the cling film, remove it as it’s clearly warm enough. If not remove the cling film after 2 weeks.
Germination can take up to 4 weeks. In one of my previous articles I posted “speed up germination” I currently have a lemon seed sprouting a root by this method. You simply remove the outside layer of the seed, which reveals brown skin, gently scrape off the skin revealing a green seed.
Growing a lemon tree is certainly a slow process, you won’t grow lemons for up to 5-8 years it really depends on the care of your lemon tree.
Love always x