Planting roman camomile seeds the eco friendly way ♻️
Hello all, as you’re already aware camomile is used for herb infusions, which is extremely beneficial for your mind, body and soul.
There are 2 types, Roman and German. German camomile can grow up to 5-6 inches tall. Roman camomile grows low on the ground, roughly up to 3-4 inches. Medically both varieties are used for inflammation, fevers, nervous and digestive systems. Both varieties are also pain relieving, antibiotic, antibacterial and sedative.
Today I’m going to show you how to plant them by seed the environmentally friendly way! I’ll update the process as they begin to grow, once they’ve bloomed I’ll document how to harvest and brew camomile.
- Remove the lid from your egg carton and put it aside, this will become a tray.
- Poke 5 holes in each section, like a domino pattern.
- Sprinkle in pre moistened compost and gently press the mix so the camomile seeds don’t fall through because they are so so tiny!
- Sprinkle the seeds around 10-15 per section.
- Use a small stick and gently scratch each section to gently cover the seeds with the mix.
- Press down gently on the mix and water with a spray gun.
The seeds will germinate in 10-14 days, keep the seedlings moist with plenty of sunlight by the window. After roughly 6 weeks, once they’ve grown enough to handle they can be planted outside, still in the egg carton as it’s biodegradable. Camomile needs both the sun and the shade and doesn’t need a lot of watering in the summer.
Love always x